Friday, December 19, 2008

Centos Vs Ubuntu


I'm relatively quite new to Linux world. So I have tried two distribution Ubuntu & CentOS so far in the past 5 months of Linux life. I know they both are targeted for different segment of market. Ubuntu is targeted to Consumer world and the CentOS is target to enterprise world and CentOS is a mirror image of Redhat Enterprises Edition. My friend Ron guided me to install CentOS for the very first time and I picked up good understanding about Linux. Over the period of time, by attending various user conference , I gained valuable knowledge and prompted by status in Linux from beginner to Intermediate. I love CentOS because of Stable Kernel build and nice sleeky look and the main drawback with CentOS is unavailbilty of the drivers for Wireless, Soundcard and webcam. In one of the redhat conference , I bumped into one of the lead developer, he helped me in installing ALSA drivers and after 4 installation of CentOS, atlast my Sound card worked in CentOS distribution. On talking about Ubuntu, Oh..boy...It is seamless installation. I love Ubuntu for their abdundant driver base. Everything works fine from Day one. Never I have to spend many days to do googling to find the drivers like in CentOS. so Overall, Ubuntu is great and it makes my life so easier. Thanks a ton to Mark shuttle worth for bringing a great OS like Linux to the consumer market. Any non-techinical person can install Ubuntu so easily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Venkat,
Seems you have been busy. Was looking through "my" incoming links and noticed something that I did not recognize. So "wondering who did what" I was brought here to your blog. Then I noticed you had linked in on one of your posts. I like the look. Any progress on establishing your own site?

Venkat said...

Ron...Just I got more free time now because of Holidays...So thought, I will do some blogging...Regarding hosting my own site on my own server...I gaveup that Idea. The main reason is, having a own website with yahoo is realtively cheap and less time consuming.